~The Palace of Groove~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~The Palace of Groove~

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Wood Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Toki
Admin
Toki

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:21 pm

list your favourite types of wood, dudes

Here are a few of mine:

Basswood: Basswood's pretty alright tone-wise, a darker sounding wood with quite a bit of mids and bass.. Not the prettiest of woods for natural finishes or stains, but a nice species of wood for guitar bodies nonetheless. It's quite light and easy to work with, which makes it a dream to build with.

Maple: Maple's a very bright sounding wood. It's fairly common in fingerboards, although, I much prefer it in the neck or body. Maple can come in some gorgeous cuts, which are used in tops (like quilted maple and flamed maple). It's very hard, and a bit on the heavy side.

Mahogany: Not only is this a beautiful sounding wood, but it is quite nice looking as well. I love the dark tone, and heavy sustain that comes with mahogany bodies and necks. In its natural state, mahogany can come in some quite gorgeous shades of red and dark tan.

Rosewood: Probably my favourite tone wood. Rosewood is very, very dark sounding, with loads of natural sustain. It's an incredibly amazing looking wood, and can be used in nearly any part of the guitar, though mainly fingerboards due to its high price. Rosewood is quite heavy, and an open grained, oily wood, which requires lots of lubing with lemon oil.

Ebony: A very popular fingerboard wood due to its great dark black looks, smooth clarity, and sustain. Ebony's on the brighter side tone-wise, maybe not quite as bright as maple, and definitely not as stiff-feeling. Ebony comes naturally nearly pure black, and is an extremely difficult wood to work with.
Back to top Go down
https://palaceofgroove.forumotion.com
Bigkpwns

Bigkpwns

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:17 am

I prefer Oak myself.
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:19 am

Mmmmmm, I enjoy sanding Oak down till it's smooth as a baby's bum teehee
Back to top Go down
PrettyWhiteSnowflake

PrettyWhiteSnowflake

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:34 am

Toki, I want you to come to my home and sand my ebony wood.
Back to top Go down
DrFailgood

DrFailgood

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:40 am

Can I watch?
Back to top Go down
Bigkpwns

Bigkpwns

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:41 am

Shall I record this event with a camera to post later on a site like this?
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Maple fretboards wins it for me
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Bladeshade wrote:
Maple fretboards wins it for me

Maple's a terrible-feeling fretboard wood. It's just so dense and hard, not comfortable to play at all.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 2:09 pm

You little no no no

I have maple on both of my guitars, and it suits me sir perfectly
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeSat Aug 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Bladeshade wrote:
You little no no no

I have maple on both of my guitars, and it suits me sir perfectly

Um, not in the fingerboards.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Wow uhm... I meant rosewood rofl. Quite embarrassing really mistrust
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:42 am

i'll say
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Wood Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Wood Thread   The Wood Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Wood Thread
Page 1 of 1