~The Palace of Groove~
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

~The Palace of Groove~

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Yu-Gi-Oh thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Empty
PostSubject: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:17 pm

I have been bit by the addictive game again. Tell me about your thoughts and decks and cards and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:17 am

I am quite ashamed to say that I never really knew how to play. I just kind collected the cards because I thought they looked cool, so I have all my cards to my nephew, who is quite the duelist.
Back to top Go down
https://palaceofgroove.forumotion.com
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:44 am

Get him over here so I can duel him :@

I think you should download an emulator and try. It's quite fun.
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:45 am

I have this one Yu-gi-oh game for emulator. It's kind of lame.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:46 am

Try Ultimate Masters 2006. It isn't too exciting once you get into the game, but it's great for learning the game
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:49 am

What happened to Yugi/Pharaoh in the anime, btw? According to my nephew, he's missing in action in the most recent episodes.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:52 am

Funny that you should ask. I am watching the seasons at this very moment, and I am currently only on season two. Watching on the internet and all. If you want to watch them I would suggest www.animefreak.tv or [url]blinkx.com[/url]

I can't really answer your question, though, as I haven't gotten too far in watching
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:59 am

Well, with the American dub, isn't season one technically season two? I mean, I've read bits of the manga from what was supposedly "season one" in Japan, where they don't even play the card game. It's got like Yugi becoming the Pharaoh and challenging guys to these like, death games, where if the player looses, they die. Supposedly these episodes were too violent for U.S. audiences, so the first season never made its way into the states.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:01 am

Yeah, I've read those too, and I think you're right. But hey, those episodes don't matter. You get to see flashbacks during the episodes for the most important, anyway, so
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:05 am

Bladeshade wrote:
Yeah, I've read those too, and I think you're right. But hey, those episodes don't matter. You get to see flashbacks during the episodes for the most important, anyway, so

Yeah but, those episodes seemed so badass. And I never really finished the manga, so I really want to know what was going on up until the part where Yugi's grandpa is sick.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:08 am

Long time since I read the mangas, and they stopped selling them ages ago, so I must say I don't remember everything... But as far as I remember, it was nothing important, anyway... The most interesting part is where yu-gi-oh (or duel monsters, as they call it) is started rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:10 am

Bladeshade wrote:
Long time since I read the mangas, and they stopped selling them ages ago, so I must say I don't remember everything... But as far as I remember, it was nothing important, anyway... The most interesting part is where yu-gi-oh (or duel monsters, as they call it) is started rolleyes

See, that's the thing... I don't really recall how the card game was introduced. I mean, I remember Yugi being given his first deck by his grandpa, and him having to go duel because his grandpa was sick or something, but I don't really remember them explaining the whole card thing and why giant monsters would come out of them. I also don't really remember what that talisman around Yugi's neck was for. I think it had something to do with him transforming into the Pharaoh, though.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:18 am

The talisman, called the millenium puzzle, is a millenium item which is used to call upon the spirit of the pharaoh, as in transforming. There are seven millenium items, I think, each with their own distinctive power. They will all be explained throughout the seasons. Now, the card game derived from ancient egypt, where they had huge stone tablets with the yu-gi-oh monsters depicted on them. These were used for fighting for riches and power. Maximillian Pegasus, the creator of the card game, discovered these monsters and decided to make a card game out of it, which became a major thing all over the world. Kaiba Corporation (where Seto Kaiba, Yugi's nemesis, is the boss) created the devices used to make the cards "come to life", which are almost always used for duelling. I hope that answered your question
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 am

NOW I remember.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 am

I decided I'd show you one of my irl decks, just for the fun of it

Monster Cards:

Anteatereatingant (x2)
Blowback Dragon (x1)
Blue-Eyes White Dragon (x2)
Buster Blader (x1)
The Creator (x1)
Spear Cretin (x2)
Dark Magician (x1)
Felgrand Dragon (x1)
Gilasaurus (x3)
Gilford the Lightning (x2)
Morphing Jar (x1)
Super Conductor Tyranno (x1)
Treeborn Frog (x1)

Magic Cards

Brain Control (x1)
Card Destruction (x1)
Foolish Burial (x1)
Graceful Charity (x1)
Mausoleum of the Emperor (x2)
Monster Reborn (x1)
Lightning Vortex (x1)
Prematur Burial (x1)
Reload (x2)
The Shallow Grave (x1)
Soul Exchange (x1)
Super Polymerization (x1)
Tribute to the Doomed (x2)

Trap Cards

Call of the Haunted (x1)
The Grave of Enkindling (x1)
Magic Jammer (x2)
Metal Reflect Slime (x1)

Fusion Cards

Dark Paladin

Total: 40 + 1

I will reveal my strategies, too. It is quite simple, get all my high-level monsters out quickly and easily. To do this, I have supplied myself with an arsenal of options, and I will reveal a few to you:

1: Get the monsters to the graveyard!

I have tons of cards making it easy to both get them to the graveyard, and from the graveyard! Card Destruction and Graceful Charity allows me not only to discard cards, but also draw new ones! Foolish Burial allows me to take a monster from my deck and send it to my graveyard. Sounds foolish, doesn't it? Also, I have cards requiring discarding to take effect. Tribute to the Doomed lets me not only discard a card, but also destroying a monster! Magic Jammer also requires a discard, and in return negates the effect of a spell card. Also, Herald of Creation lets me discard a card to get a level 7 or higher monster back to the hand! Makes it easier to add perfection to my strategies that requires specific cards by switching my most powerful monsters back and forth from the graveyard!

Now when my monsters are in my graveyard, what good will they do? Easy summoning! The Creator allows me to discard a card to summon a monster from the graveyard! Perfect! But my deck would be useless if I only relied on a single card for my strategy to take place! No, I've got more useful cards! Monster Reborn, Premature Burial, Call of the Haunted, the Shallow Grave and the Grave of Enkindling all let me special summon monsters from my graveyard!

2: Easy summoning

Well, the special summoning from the graveyard is probably the easiest strategy in my deck. But it won't leave my deck versatile enough for any duel. This deck has a few tricks in it's sleeve, though. Take Mausoleum of the Emperor, for instance. It allows me to exchange the monsters required for tribute summons with 1000 life points per monster required! Gilasaurus can also be special summoned very easily with it's effect. Only setback is it allows the opponent to special summon a monster from his graveyard, so it must be used wisely. Next, we have the Anteatereatingant, which can only be summoned by tributing to traps or spell cards on my side of the field! That's cheap for a monster with 2000 attack! And it's perfect if I stuff my magic and trap card zones with too many traps and spells. It also fits well with my Treeborn Frog! The Treeborn Frog will be special summoned during my standby phase if I have no spell or trap cards in my zones. Metal Reflect Slime is a trap card that becomes a monster when activated. It has 3000 defense, so it is like a wall! It can easily be taken out, seeing it's considered both a monster and a trap card, but when used correctly, it can be of great use! It can be used as a tribute monster, and it can also be used as a wall! Also, cards like Brain Control and Soul Exchange will let me tribute my opponent's monsters instead of my own. Great for taking out their monsters, and great for summoning mine!

Defensive Strategies

Well, this is where most of my trap cards come in, and also some of my monsters. In addition to having heaps of high-level monsters, I also have tricky traps and effects. Magic Jammer will protect me from spell cards, Seven Tools of the Bandit from traps, and Solemn Judgement from pretty much anything. Also, Anteatereatingant can exchange the round's attack to destroy a spell or trap card. In addition, the Blowback Dragon's effect is to flip a coin three times each turn. If it results in heads two out of three times, I am allowed to destroy any card I want to on my opponent's side of the field. And at last, my awesome Dark Paladin. It can negate a spell card each turn and destroy it. Also, it gains 500 points for each dragon type monster in either player's field or graveyard!

Counter Strategies

The only flawless one I can think of is out-of-play strategies. Get my monsters out of play instead of the graveyard, and my cards are useless. Trust me, I've tried it.

Edits

I've done some edits to improve the chances of a better starting hand, which worked very well.
I removed Solemn Judgement, Seven Tools of the Bandit and Mystical Space Typhoon, leaving it for my Blowback and Anteaters to destroy facedown trap cards before they are activated. I also removed Herald of Creation because bringing monsters back from the graveyard is just idiocy in my deck. In addition, I removed The Creator Incarnate because it only supports a single card in my deck: The Creator. The Creator is not a key card in my deck, so I removed it.

I added two Spear Cretins, which, when destroyed after flipped, allows me and my opponent to special summon a monster from the graveyard in face-down defense. I also added another Tribute to the Doomed, and an even more powerful card: the Lightning Vortex. It allows me to discard one card to destroy all attack position monsters on the opponent's side of the field fapfapfap. The last card I added was Morphing Jar. It has a flip effect: When it is flipped, both me and my opponent must discard our whole hand and draw five new cards. Great if have cards I need discarded, or have no cards and need a new hand!

Last edited by Bladeshade on Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 9:50 am

The cool freshman guys I hang out with at school love playing it. Maybe I should learn how to duel and start practicing.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 1:40 pm

I can teach you everything you need to know. And if you gather up enough decent cards for a deck, we can have a chat duel! I have never really tested my decks on other than myself, and there are no other friends of mine really doing yu-gi-oh here around.

And as a tip, start with a structure deck. The structure decks themselves are only decent, and not versatile enough to win anything big, but they're a good start
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 pm

I humble myself before you, Sensei. But first, I've got to go out and buy some Yugioh cards. What do you recommend I get, like a starter deck or something? I used to own a Joey starter that came in a tin can that came with a Red Eyes, should I get something like that?
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 2:23 pm

The structure decks are slightly different than the starter decks:

Starter decks are based on a certain character's cards, and thus only contains decent cards with no relation to each other, making them great as a start for building your own deck with your own strategies.

Structure Decks are rather based on a certain type, attribute or strategy, making them easier as a start, but less versatile for additional cards.

So the easiest solution is the structure decks, as they are pre-built decent decks. The funniest one is starter decks, as this gives you more freedom for additional cards. Both my great decks use cards acquired by structure decks, though, as they all have some quite powerful cards.

From here, it's your call.
But if you like the game, I advice you to buy several of both structure and starter decks, as they are easy access to some very powerful cards, which are great additions to any kind of deck.
Back to top Go down
Toki
Admin
Toki

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 4:27 am

How many cards am I allowed in my deck, what ratio of monster and trap/special/whatever cards should it consist of, what else should I need to know about building my deck?
Back to top Go down
PrettyWhiteSnowflake

PrettyWhiteSnowflake

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 6:10 am

Toki wrote:
How many cards am I allowed in my deck, what ratio of monster and trap/special/whatever cards should it consist of, what else should I need to know about building my deck?
Um if I am correct 40 cards per deck.
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 6:17 am

You can have as many cards as possible, but chances are you'll lose 99% of the time if you have 60+ cards. The minimum requirement is 40, which is a recommended amount. Fusion cards are not included in the main deck. You should have more monsters than spell or trap cards, but it doesn't matter if you have more trap and spell cards together than monsters. Also, you should make sure you have a balance between high-level and low-level monsters in your deck. Any monster of level 4 or lower can be summoned without any special condition (unless the monster's effect says something else). Any monster of level 5 or 6 requires one tribute monster, and 7+ requires two. The level of the monster is depicted as number of stars below the card's name
Some monsters have special conditions for being summoned:

Ritual monster
Fusion monsters (See link for fusion cards)
Synchro Monsters
Special effects

If you don't care to read what it says, or you just don't understand everything:

Ritual monsters can only be summoned with the correct spell card. It will be listed in both cards' effect which card belongs to the other.
Take Hungry Burger for instance.
In the card's description field, it says all the requirements for summoning.
Also, some ritual monsters have (an) effect(s), like this card
First, it describes the requirements for the summon, then it describes the effect of the card.

Fusion monsters can only be summoned with some specific spell cards, and two or more designated monsters. The main spell card for such a summon is Polymerization
There are other cards which can be used to conduct a fusion summon, but polymerization is the basic one.
Also, each fusion monster requires two or more specific monsters. Let's take a look at Musician King
In it's description, you can see that it needs two monsters to be summoned: Witch of the Black Forest and Lady of Faith.

And unless any of the cards specifies you must use all these cards, there are other options to which cards you can use:

Substitutes (like Goddess With the Third Eye)
Effect monsters (like Cyber-Stein

Synchro summoning is the newest thing in Yu-Gi-Oh, so I haven't gotten to teach myself what it really is. Feel free to read on the wiki, though.

I think that answers your question very well. Also, when you buy structure and starter decks, you get a rule book. It describes most basic aspects of the game in great detail.

I hope that helped naughty
Back to top Go down
Bran

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 10:33 am

For Blade:

I had to come up with a catchy deck title so I decided on "It Only Takes A Spark..." wow so clever is it not

Monsters:
Raging Flame Sprite [2]
Little Chimera
Solar Flare Dragon [3]
Ufo Turtle [3]
Ultimate Baseball Kid [2]
Tenkabito Shien [2]
Cyber Dragon [2]
Spirit Reaper
Sangan
D.D. Warrior Lady

Spells:
Meteor of Destruction [2]
Swords of Revealing Light
Mystical Space Typhoon
Monster Reincarnation
Nobleman of Crossout
Dark Room of Nightmare
Lightning Vortex
Level Limit-Area B
Heavy Storm
Premature Burial
Book of Moon

Traps:
Nightmare Wheel [2]
Dust Tornado
Gravity Bind
Ceasefire
Sakuetsu Armor [2]
Magic Cylinder
Compulsory Evacuation Device

hmm, I don't remember the deck being so spread out, but yeah it's all cards I own so...

Basically, the point of the deck is Gravity Bind and Level Limit Area B to the point of no return and just effects damage and direct attacks with flame sprites to infinity and beyond also not sure why dust tornado is in the deck i feel like I need another dark room of nightmare hmm well just one side comment teehee anyway thanks rock on
Back to top Go down
Bladeshade

Bladeshade

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 5:53 pm

Uhm great deck and stuff and it beat me rofl but wouldn't it be greater with "The Thing in the Crater" in it?
Back to top Go down
Bran

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 1:13 am

hmm, well thing in the crater only works on pyro monsters, which only applies to solar flare dragon and tenkabito shien oh dear
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Yu-Gi-Oh thread   The Yu-Gi-Oh thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Yu-Gi-Oh thread
Page 1 of 1